RFG/RFL Emissions kits
from Laplace Instruments
The following RFG/RFL kits from Laplace Instruments provide a cost effective solution for measuring radiated emissions, and optionally, conducted emissions also.
The RFG/RFL kits can provide both pre-compliance checks and compliance measurements as required for you to self-test and self-certification.
Emissions may be either radiated or conducted or both.
If radiated measurements are required, the choice is related to the test environment or site. Either an OATS (Open Area Test Site) can be used, or a test cell/chamber.
These kits can be configured for the combination of tests that your product requires. The type of product determines the EMC standard to be applied, and to a lesser extent, the parameters of the test.
illumination Solution to EN55015
For example, products whose main purpose is illumination (lighting), should comply with EN55015. This standard is quite explicit. There are three tests required:
- conducted emissions (LISN method)
- magnetic field (Large Loop Antenna method)
- radiated emissions (CDN method)
The core of the system will be the SA1002-A EMC analyzer, plus an RF915 pre-selector.
Then for conducted emissions, the LISN-A-16A1P is required.
For radiated emissions, add the S46M3 CDN.
And for testing the magnetic field, the RF300 Large Loop Antenna is required.
See ALECS - Automated Luminance Emissions Compliance System for more details of test systems for luminaries.
For most other types of products, a ‘core' system based on either the SA1002 or SA3000 EMC analyzer is required. The former scans up to 1GHz, the latter up to 3GHz. The choice will be specified by the standard. This core system will cover both conducted and radiated emission tests.
Then for conducted emissions, add a suitable LISN, and, ideally, a pre-selector too. Kit reference is RFC-....
For radiated emissions the first consideration is the choice of test site. Officially, the preferred type of site is the OATS (Open Area Test Site). Ideally this is a large, flat open area with no metallic surfaces within several meters of the product/antenna combination.
Also, it should have a perfectly flat metallic ground plane and the antenna should be on a mast so that it can be ‘scanned' over a height of between 1 and 4 meters off the ground.
None of our customers are likely to have such a facility. So we have developed techniques that eliminate much of the above for OATS testing. You might test in a car park, or indoors, eg... loading bay, conference room, corner of production area, etc.... These sites suffer from 2 main problems... ambient (background) noise, and test site calibration.
Our analyzers and associated software include features that overcome both of these problems. See ‘ambient cancellation and test site calibration for technical explanations of our solutions.
So for an OATS type of test, add RF200 antenna, SA1020 pre-amp, RF700 filter and ERS reference source. If scanning above 1GHz, add RF230 too.
The kit reference is RFG-... (1GHz) or RF3G-.... (3GHz). These kits can cover conducted measurements too.
If the product is relatively small (max size 19" x 13u rack, or 60 x 60 x 60cm) then a test cell offers several advantages.......
- Fully screened, so totally quiet inside.. no ambient noise.
- fully calibrated.
- Convenient.... Will sit in a corner of your lab and is always ready when you are.
- Can be used for radiated RF immunity testing too.
The disadvantage of using a cell is that it is not as accurate as an OATS, so a greater margin of uncertainty must be applied.
If a cell looks like the best option, we have 2 sizes, Lc300/2 for products up to 30cm cube, and Lc600 for products up to 60cm cube. These are simply connected direct to the analyzer No other items are required. Kit reference is RFL-....
Other test cells could be used in conjunction with the analyzer, provided that they have been calibrated and correlated against a 3m OATS.
Anechoic chambers are a final option. These can be treated as an OATS, but without any ambient or background noise. So for this situation, an EMC analyzer plus RF200, SA1020 and ERS are required. For scanning above 1GHz, the RF230 is required.
If testing Luminaries to EN55015, ... use ALECS
For systems based on a test cell (LaplaCell)... use RFL-
For systems to test both emissions and immunity... use CLIENTS
Laplace Instruments Products
• Antennas for EMC Testing
· · RF200 Broadband EMC Log Periodic Antenna
· · RF230 Broadband EMC Log Periodic Antenna
· · RF300 Large Loop Antenna
· · CDN - Coupler-Decoupler Networks
· · Current CDNs for Screened Cable
· · Current CDNs for Unscreened Cable
· · High Current Coupler Decoupler Network - S46M5 9
• CLIENTS (Combined Laplace Immunity & EmissioNs Test System)
• Conducted Immunity Test Solutions - IEC6100 4 6
Reliant EMC Product Lines
· Cells and Chambers
· Current Generators
· EMC Antennas
· EMC Emission Testing
· EMC Immunity Testing
· EMC Signal Generators
· EMC Software
· EMC/EMI Filters
· Linear AC/DC Power Amplifiers
· Linear AC/DC Power Supply
· Waveform Generator/Simulator
· Application Notes & Downloads
· DANA - AC/DC Linear Power Supplies
· EMCIS - Filter Design Products
· EMC PIONEER - Ferrites, PCB & System EMI Filters
· EMC Test Design - Field Probes
· innco systems - Positioning Systems for EMC
· IntrX - High Power LISN's
· Laplace - Emission & Immunity Testing
· LUMILOOP - Data & Power over Fiber Optics
· Preen – Switched AC/DC Power Supplies
· Sanwood - Environmental Test Chambers
· Schlöder - EMC Test and Measurement Systems